- The Exorcist – Straight-up scary possessed girl. Check. No stupid looking CGI effects. Check. Best use of a can of pea soup. Check.
- The Others – I feel like this didn’t get the attention it deserved. Nicole Kidman is
fantastic. The story is chilling in addition to the beautiful cinematography. Highly recommend for those of you who can’t stand gore or violence. It delivers just the right amount of scares in a completely subtle & clever way.
- Poltergeist – This list wouldn’t be complete without a cheesy 80s movie thrown in. And it scared me when I was just 6 years old. As in I attribute my fear of clowns to this movie. Useless info: I was good friends in college, with JoBeth Williams nephew (she played the mom).
- The Descent - Spelunking, group of women, scary creatures that can see you in the dark. Beware - pretty violent & gory but not gratuitous.
- The Ring - This was the first of the Japanese remakes & the only one that was done well. Super creepy girl (hmmmm...what's with all the scary girls), Naomi Watts, Seattle as the backdrop & even though a little too slick & somewhat gimmicky, it delivered on the creepiness factor.
Bonus links (because 5 just isn't enough):
- It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown – OK so this isn’t scary at all, but it’s a classic for sure & a fav since my childhood. The Simpsons parody on this was cute too.
- Anything by Hitchcock – Psycho, Rear Window, The Birds. He changed the face of horror movies & movies in general. "The Master of Suspense" indeed.
- Southland Tales - This is my contribution to a non-horror movie that should have been b/c it was so bad.
***Don't forget about Mr. Linky and/or leave a comment with your faves. Have a spooktacular weekend (sorry, couldn't resist)!