Thursday, June 27, 2013

Time Flies as You Get Older & Handmade Cards

5 more months left to the year...that doesn't even seem possible.  I read an explanation for why time passes more quickly as an adult than when you're a child and I can't remember the specifics exactly, but it had to do with memories. When you're young, you experience all these first-time events (first kiss, first job, first child) which make lasting impressions. As we get older, we repeat these events & so the memories become less unique and less memorable.

Speaking of getting older...Monday, July 1st is my 37th birthday. Thank goodness I've been recently told I looked in my late 20s. Lol. We're celebrating by going to Ikea. I've never been before even though it's been here for 6 years now. So to say I'm excited would be an understatement. July is always a good month, birthday aside. My 3rd year blogiversary is on the 7th and M & I are coming up on our 11th Anniversary. So there's a lot of celebrating going on in the Nelson household.

Also wanted to share two of my most recent handmade cards. One for Father's Day & one for a friend who recently graduated from grad school.

I think I've said this before, but I have a hard
time making cards for the men in my life. Even
though this was simple, it took me a long time
because I had trouble picking out male
appropriate colors. 
I dipped a paintbrush in my mist bottle (instead of
spraying it) & painted it on. Then I used an embossing
pen to write out both sentiments & added different
embossing powders.

This is the graduation card. I used my go-to craft
supply of choice - washi. Also, Heidi Swapp banners,
a cute Studio Calico wood veneer, which I colored pink
 & a stamp.
I misted over some chipboard alpha stickers just
on the bottom portion of the card.
 Have a wonderful weekend friends & thanks as always for reading.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, you're right - lots of celebrating in your household this month! Congrats on everything! =) I've never been to an IKEA either... one of these days I'll get there. I really like the inside of the "Congrats" card - something about the mist looks very celebratory, like confetti!

Linda said...

i love the MISTing.

kathy @ vodka and soda said...

love the cards! and thank the asian genes for looking younger than you are. i'm turning 38 and people always think i'm in my mid-20s!

Michelle said...

Awesome cards and use of mist! I tried out embossing and watercolors a few days ago, very fun technique!

Joyfulploys said...

Celebrations are always fun! Congrats on your upcoming anniversary! Love the cards and the journal pages in the post below(that looks like my journal?)
Mary

ankit said...

The most important thing you can give someone is your time. Keep the same thought i feel these are the perfect collection of handmade cards. Your post is really nice and informative! Please check out my blog fashion write for us

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...